#1 2015-02-17 14:35:00

Waenzeslaus

Stulatek

Kathleen Snavely, 113

Kathleen Snavely, najstarsza Irlandka w Historii ukończyła 113 lat!

http://www.syracuse.com/kirst/index.ssf … irthd.html

Jak na 113, to ona wygląda rewelacyjnie. Niesamowite.

Przy okazji, właśnie zauważyłem że to mój 3.000. post(!) Ale ten czas leci...

Kontakt: superstulatek110@interia.pl

#2 2015-02-17 15:39:26

Mike Imich

Administrator

Re: Kathleen Snavely, 113

Gratulacje dla Kathleen Snavely i dla Ciebie.

Być zwyciężonym i nie ulec to zwycięstwo, zwyciężyć i spocząć na laurach - to klęska.
Józef Piłsudski

#3 2015-02-17 17:06:41

Waenzeslaus

Stulatek

Dziękuję!

Kathleen Snavely... ona może zajść daleko.

#4 2015-03-26 01:17:46

Waenzeslaus

Stulatek

Dziś Kathleen Snavely została najstarszą osobą w Historii kiedykolwiek urodzoną na wyspie Irlandia.

Zdjęcie z zeszłego miesiąca, podczas 113. urodzin.

http://media.irishcentral.com/images/MI-kathleen-snavely-laurie-black.jpg

#5 2015-03-26 13:24:45

Waenzeslaus

Stulatek

http://www.syracuse.com/kirst/index.ssf … ldest.html

Today: Our Kathleen Rollins Snavely of Geddes becomes longest-lived person born in Ireland ever
2015-03-25-dn-kathleen2(1).JPG

http://imgick.syracuse.com/home/syr-media/width620/img/kirst/photo/17356639-mmmain.jpg

Kathleen Hayes Rollins Snavely, in the chapel at the Centers at St. Camillus, on the day she turned 113 and 37 days - meaning she has lived as long as any person ever born on the island of Ireland. (Dennis Nett | dnett@syracuse.com)
Print Email
Sean Kirst | skirst@syracuse.com By Sean Kirst | skirst@syracuse.com
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on March 26, 2015 at 1:12 AM, updated March 26, 2015 at 6:40 AM

Reddit

More from Sean Kirst's blog

Today: Our Kathleen Rollins Snavely of Geddes becomes longest-lived person born in Ireland ever
    Photographer Matt Herron, today at ArtRage: Iconic images of Selma - and why Tuesday marked his first 'selfie'
    Our childhood phone numbers: Readers on calling 'Granite,' party lines and using big old dial phones
    'The best team in the world': In April, after 60 years, sweet reunion of Syracuse Nats, 1955 NBA champs
    Story Musgrave: Space traveler sees reopening of SU's Holden Observatory as tale of faith, passion

All Stories |

Kathleen Hayes Rollins Snavely treated Wednesday, at least to start with, as just another day. She had a morning appointment with a hair stylist at the Centers at St. Camillus in Geddes, where she lives. While she was getting her hair done, she learned from the staff that she would soon have a few visitors.

"I didn't look for all this publicity," said Kathleen, a remark offered in good humor. She took a ride in a wheelchair through the corridor to the St. Camillus chapel, where Onondaga County Executive Joanie Mahoney, St. Camillus President Aileen Balitz and a small crowd of Kathleen's friends waited to greet her on a historic day:

As of Wednesday, Kathleen's age was 113 years and 37 days. That meant she tied Annie Scott -- who was born in 1883 in Northern Ireland and died in 1997 in Scotland -- as the longest-lived person born on the Irish isle.

Ever.

Step back and consider it for a minute: Of all the epic figures from Ireland, no one born there in documented history has lived longer than Kathleen, who came to Syracuse in 1921 with only a few dollars to her name.

Mahoney, who settled in on one knee for the best way of chatting side-by-side with Kathleen, was far less impressed by the record than by the nature, wit and insight of the woman who now holds it.

"It's nice to meet Mrs. Snavely," said Mahoney, who brought flowers as a gift, "and how lucky we are that she's such a wonderful person."

The little gathering was put together by David Liddell and his daughter, Laurie Black, longtime friends of Kathleen's. To them, the power of the tale is not really about longevity. It's about the idea that a woman who came here with basically nothing in the early 1920s built a life as a successful businesswoman ...

And even now, at 113, retains an electric intelligence and sense of humor.

When Mahoney told her, for instance, that she looked beautiful, Kathleen immediately replied:

"Oh, come on!"

She said she recognized the county executive from photographs in the newspaper, and the two women quickly hit it off. Kathleen began telling stories of her life -- the tearful day when she said goodbye to her brothers in Ireland, the time spent working with children at the old Syracuse State School, how she met and married Roxie Rollins, a short-order cook with little money, and how together they built the Seneca Dairy into a thriving business.

After Roxie's death, a memory that still brings a catch to Kathleen's voice, she'd eventually marry her second husband, Jesse Snavely. Widowed again, Kathleen lived on her own until she was well past 100, when she saw the logic of settling at St. Camillus.

With Mahoney, Kathleen shared a few examples of her philosophy. She understands struggle. There were times in her life when she had almost nothing. But she admired people who tried to lift themselves from that situation, and she didn't always see that same grit in those she'd meet who had bundles of money.
2015-03-25-dn-kathleen.JPGKathleen Snavely, on the day she became as long-lived as anyone ever born on the Irish isle, receives a visit from Onondaga County Executive Joanie Mahoney.Dennis Nett | dnett@syracuse.com

"The dress doesn't make the woman," she told Mahoney. "It's what's inside the dress that matters."

The county executive said she'd heard of how Kathleen reaches out to others -- a generosity that can be as fundamental as initiating a conversation with someone eating alone in the St. Camillus cafeteria. In 2000, Kathleen made a major donation toward the Whitman School of Management at Syracuse University, because she liked the idea of helping young men and women who dream of careers in business.

"I love people who are trying to work," Kathleen said. "I put myself in that category."

She sat next to Mahoney in bright sunlight that poured through the chapel windows. Dennis Nett, a photographer with The Post-Standard, took some photographs and brought the camera to Kathleen to show her the digital images, technology that would have seemed beyond belief when she was born.

Kathleen studied the photos. She made a remark about how her hair was once dark, not snow white. Then she smiled and said:

"Not bad for an old lady."

The international attention? Kathleen said she never expected it. It began with a burst just over a year ago, when Irish media outlets began reporting that Kathleen was the longest lived Irish-born person in history, a list including anyone born there who left for another country.

At the time, Robert Young of Atlanta, senior database administrator for the Gerontology Research Group, clarified the point:

Kathleen was the longest lived person ever born in the Republic of Ireland. Annie Scott, born in what is now Northern Ireland, remained the longest lived born on the isle, period.

It was Young, just a few days ago, who said Kathleen would tie Scott Wednesday ....

And this morning, God willing, the record will be Kathleen's alone.

Wednesday, she joined Michael Connor, the St. Camillus relationship development coordinator, and pastoral care coordinator Candace Lawrence in singing a few favorite Irish songs. Connor, who also sings with the Syracuse Opera, told Kathleen she had a better grasp than he did on the words of "When Irish Eyes Are Smiling," and Kathleen clearly delighted in the chance to have a party.

As for the record?

"I don't care," Kathleen said. She knows "the Irish papers are full" of stories about how long she's lived, but she's more interested in what's going on right now. She still enjoys a lively back-and-forth. She still loves to watch through the window as birds come to a feeder.

"When I got to 100," Kathleen said, "I said, 'Oh, no, I'm done.' Then I got to 109, and I thought that was it. Then 110 ...."

The point was made.

"And I'm still going," Kathleen said.

Sean Kirst is a columnist with The Post-Standard. Email him at skirst@syracuse.com or send him a message on Twitter.

Real Estate

FOR RENT

Oswego, NY

FOR RENT

Syracuse, NY

Reddit

Related Stories
The wonderful Mrs. Snavely: In Geddes, happy 113th to longest-lived person, ever, from Republic of Ireland
What's the craic? It's an Irish word you should know if you celebrate St. Patrick's Day
3 comments
Sign in

#6 2015-05-03 18:55:58

IrvingKahn

Emeryt

Z takim wyglądem może osiągnie 115 lat lub więcej. Jest podobna do Calmenta.

"Traktuj innych tak, jak chcesz być traktowany"
"Nie mam dużo nauki, ale to co sensu mam, staram się go używać"

Jeralean Talley ur. 23.05.1899 - †17.06.2015

#7 2015-05-03 19:08:57

Mike Imich

Administrator

Wygląda jak zwykła 80-latka.

Być zwyciężonym i nie ulec to zwycięstwo, zwyciężyć i spocząć na laurach - to klęska.
Józef Piłsudski

#8 2016-07-16 22:01:24

Gedackt

Administrator

Naprawdę nie mogę zrozumieć dlaczego ona rok temu umarła mając tylko 113 lat. Musiało coś znowu zaszkodzić. Nikt mi nie powie, ze to z powodu 113 lat na karku (przy tak młodym wyglądzie!!!). To jest zawsze najgorsza rzecz, gdy ss z tak młodym i zdrowym wyglądem jak ona z niczego nagle umiera. Czuje straszny żal.

Bądź aktywny, nie jedz za dużo i bądź dobry dla innych ludzi - Jeżeli będziesz zdrowy, wszystko będzie możliwe

Walter Breuning

Stopka forum

RSS